Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Cider a traditional British drink and Heaven and Earth a dish from my home in germany (Himmel und Erde) are making a match made in um well Europe?
- 4 potatoes
- 1 apple
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 pork chops
- 2 red onions
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves
- 200 ml cider
- sea salt & fresh ground pepper
- Trim the Chops of excess Fat and season with salt and pepper.
- Brown them well in a little goose fat and remove from the pan.
- Peel and quarter the onion and slice the garlic.
- Add this to the Pan and brown a little.
- Then deglace with the cider and return the chops to the Pan.
- Cover and Braise for about an hour until the chops are cooked through.
- About half way through add the thyme leaves.
- For the Himmel und Erde: Peel and Quarter the Potatos and bring to the boil in cold salted Water.
- Once its boiling turn down the heat and after 10 minutes add the peeled, cored and quartered Apple.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Then mash the Potatos and Apple.
- Season and enrich with a knob of butter.
- Serve the Chops with some of the braising liquid as gravy.
- Goes well with Leeks and Carrots on the side.
Loved the Heaven & Earth. What a simple but great idea. The stock makes a fantastic sauce for the meal. I didn't cook the chops for anywhere near the time mentioned (an hour). Mine was done in 30 mins.