Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
In '1,000 Italian Recipes' by Michele Scicolone
Make and share this Chunky Fish Soup (Ciuppin) recipe from Food.com.
- 1133.98 g assorted firm white fish fillets, such as halibut, sea bass, mahi mahi
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 tender celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 236.59 ml dry white wine
- 236.59 ml peeled seeded chopped fresh tomato (or canned tomatoes)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 6 slice Italian bread or 6 slice French bread, toasted
- Rinse the fish pieces and pat them dry.
- Cut the fish into 2-inch chunks, discarding any bones.
- Pour the oil into a large pot.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic.
- Cook, stirring, frequently, over medium heat until tender and golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the fish and cook, stirring the pieces occasionally, 10 minutes more.
- Pour in the wine and bring to a simmer.
- Add the tomatoes, and the salt and pepper to taste.
- Add cold water to cover.
- Bring to a simmer and cook 20 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley.
- Place a slice of toast in each soup bowl.
- Ladle the soup over the bread and serve hot.