Recipe by kittycatmom
I found this recipe in Mom's "shoe box recipe box" It is a hand written recipe and I have no idea where it came from. I haven't tried this yet, but plan to. Update: I have now made this and agree that 2 cups of cranberries are definitely needed!
Top Review by lauralie41
I love apples and cranberries so knew this recipe would be one I would enjoy. Used frozen cranberries that I had from Christmas and my apples were small so I used a few more. The cranberries were pretty tart so I added 1/3 cup of sugar and a bit more maple syrup. Also since the cranberries were frozen I used less water and that worked out well. Very easy to make and wonderful flavor. Thank you kitty for posting a keeper! Made and reviewed for Kitten's Recipe Tag Game.
- 2 lbs sweet apples (Red Delicious, Honey Crisp, 4 large)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and core apples; cut into 1-inch chunks. Place in large pot with 4 cup water, sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, salt and cranberries. Bring to boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook 20 minutes or until apples are tender and sauce is thickened. Check halfway through cooking. If mixture is dry, add 2 tablespoons water.
- Uncover pot and mash apples with fork until pulpy. Stir in lemon juice.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.