1/2 Photos of Chrusciki- Bow Knots
These Polish cookies are very time consuming to make. It's a great help to have a bunch of your favorite family members to help! They are very flavorful and rich. This recipe makes hundreds of cookies. Literally. But they are worth it in the end. The cognac can easily be omitted entirely But why bother! You can cut the kneading time down by using a food processor! Use a couple of pans for frying to make it go faster! (Assembly line)! Cook time is 1 minute per batch of cookies!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 whole eggs
- 10 egg yolks
- 14.79 ml melted butter
- 44.37 ml granulated sugar (I use vanilla sugar, check out my recipe)
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4.92 ml pure orange extract
- 4.92 ml pure vanilla extract
- 4.92 ml freshly grated fresh lemon rind
- 4.92 ml freshly grated orange rind
- 44.37 ml cognac
- 118.29 ml sour cream
- 946.36-1182.95 ml flour
- melted Crisco, mixed with
- lard, if kosher just use crisco
- powdered sugar
- 1Beat the eggs and egg yolks together until thick and lemon colored.
- 2Add the melted butter, sugar, salt, extracts, citrus rinds, cognac, and sour cream and beat until creamy and smooth.
- 3Add enough flour gradually to produce a thick, fairly stiff dough.
- 4Turn out onto a floured board and knead for 8-10 minutes until the dough is elastic and can be handled easily.
- 5Roll pieces of dough 1/8 inch thin (should be able to see through them) and cut into strips about 3 inches long and 2 inches wide.
- 6Cut the ends on a diagonal.
- 7Slit each piece in the center and pull one end through the slit.
- 8Heat the crisco and lard to 375 degrees and fry the dough strips, until lightly browned (about 1 minute) Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- 9(SHHHHHHHHHHH!) Sneak 1 or 2 while frying!
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chrusciki- Bow Knots
Serving Size: 1 (1278 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 14.8
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 11.7 mg
- Sodium 7.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 0.4 g