Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Simple Christmas fruitcake was originally printed in The Finnish Cookbook.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 cup finely chopped mixed dried fruit (prunes, apricots, pears, apples, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Dust the fruit with the 1 Tablespoon of flour to make it easier to combine with the cake batter.
- Cream the butter/margarine with the sugar until light and lemon colored.
- Add the eggs and beat until thick.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix into batter, and then stir in the orange peel and the dried fruit.
- Turn into a well-greased loaf pan (5"x9").
- Bake in 350-degree oven for 50-60 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
i can honestly say that this is the best fruitcake i have ever tasted! it slices up beautifully, and tastes delicious with minimum effort. thanks ellie, this is a keeper
Lovely light fruitcake for all year round, not just December. I used diced prunes and dried cherries. looked pretty and sliced well . Made for ZWT 9.
I usually include considerably more fruit in my fruitcakes, but know that some people like it a bit less fruity, I decided to make this to include on the table tomorrow! And, my initial taste testing tells me that it will be much appreciated by some guests, I know! Rather than pick & choose the fruits that I used, I did just finely chop a mixed bag, & the cake turned out beautifully! Many thanks for posting the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]