This is a great recipe for a christmas cookie. I make it every year for the family. My kids like the chocolate chips while the grownups prefer the maraschino cherries and coconut.
- Cream shortening and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until well blended.
- Add eggs and almond extract, beating on medium speed until light and fluffy; about 2 minutes.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture gradually, beating on low speed just until blended. Fold in chips, coconut and cherries.
- Drop dough by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned around edges.