Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Here is a cookie that screams Christmas! Although I equate any cookie made with almond paste to Christmas. Very rich, but who cares, the holidays were meant for indulging. We can watch our waistlines later.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, plus
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened and divided
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (7 ounce) jarcan almond paste
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 48 candied red cherries
- 1 unsweetened chocolate square
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream 1/2 cup of the butter and 1/2 cup of the sugar.
- Add vanilla. Add flour gradually, mixing well.
- Spread in lightly greased 9x13x2 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for about 15-20 minutes, or until cookie base is golden.
- Remove from oven.
- Using the mixer set to medium speed, mix almond paste, remaining 1/4 cup butter, remaining 1/4 cup sugar and the eggs.
- Spread over cookie base.
- Arrange cherries on batter with six across and eight down (48) Do not press cherries into batter.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until done. The cookie should feel firm when pressed lightly with fingers.
- Remove to rack and let cool.
- Meanwhile, combine all glaze ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Drizzle chocolate over cooked bonbon mixture. When glaze is set, cut into 48 pieces.