Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Missing step fixed! Recipe from Giant Foods Christmas special in Lifestyles Magazine for 1999. It is different than the ones I have found here so far since it doesn't require sausage. It also gives a choice between gin or juniper berries. It is a bit lighter in fat.
- 1 lb pork ribs or 1 lb lean pork chop
- oil (optional)
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 20 ounces sauerkraut, undrained
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into chunks
- alsatian riesling wine, enough to cover
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon gin, see note
- Note: Instead of gin, 1 tablespoon juniper berries may be used. Use white wine if you can't find Alsatian Riseling.
- Brown the pork in a heavy skillet. Only add the oil if needed. Suggest using PAM. When brown remove the excess drippings.
- Layer apple, onion, pork and half the sauerkraut in a large pot.
- Missing step added 7/4/2007: Add the potatoes and the rest of the sauerkraut.
- Cover completely with the wine. Add the bay, garlic and gin. Cover and bake in preheated oven for 2 hours.
- Like that missing step was so hard. Blame my bad memory. I found a duplicate magazine.