Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Martha White but tweaked for my families taste. Make dumplings small because they puff up nicely.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 10 ounces chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 1 chicken thigh, cooked, deboned, leftover
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 8 ounces carrots
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded, stemmed and diced
- 8 ounces black beans, can
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 14 ounces fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces jiffy yellow cornbread mix
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- sour cream, chopped avocado, chopped cilantro, lime wedges
- In a large pan, add chorizo and cook 2 to 3 minutes, using back of spoon to break into pieces. Add chicken. Cook 2 minutes.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, poblano pepper,garlic powder, cumin and salt and cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic. Cook 1 minute. Add 2 tablespoons oil. Stir in flour. Cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes and chicken broth. Stir well, scraping bits off bottom of pan. Cover.
- Bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
- STIR together cornbread mix, lime peel, milk, sour cream and 1/2 cup cilantro in medium bowl. Mixture will be thick.
- Set aside 10 minutes to ensure liquid is absorbed into cornmeal.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls into simmering soup. Cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until puffed and firm.
- TO SERVE, spoon a couple dumplings into each bowl and ladle soup around dumplings. Garnish with sour cream, cilantro, avocado and/or a squeeze of lime juice.