This is adapted from a recipe I found on the Weight Watchers site. The original recipe calls for cooking in a crockpot. Instructions for the crockpot version are included at the bottom. It makes about 5 servings--not a huge potfull.
- Remove the casing from the chorizo and begin to break it up and brown it in a medium saucepot. After a few minutes add the onion, garlic and green pepper and cook the mixture for about five minutes total.
- Add the beans and broth, then the cumin and bay leaf. Let it come to a boil and then simmer about a half hour.
- Add the lemon juice. (If desired, add salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons of sherry. I did not think it needed any of that.).
- For crockpot use, follow the first step, then transfer all the ingredients into the crockpot and cook on low about 3 hours.
- Garnish with cilantro if desired.