Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup
photo by Chellerystick
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (1 turn of the pan)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups canned vegetable stock, found on soup aisle (I use Vegan Chicken Broth here)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice (I use an 8 ounce can tomato sauce here)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pumpkin puree (found often on the baking aisle)
- 1 cup corn (frozen or canned, drain and rinse if canned)
- 1 cup heavy cream (I use Unsweetened Silk)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (eyeball it in the palm of your hand)
- coarse salt
- 20 sprigs fresh chives, for garnish (chopped or snipped)
- Heat a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add oil.
- When oil is hot, add onion.
- Saute onions 5 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes or tomato sauce, black beans, pumpkin puree and corn.
- Stir to combine ingredients and bring soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and stir in cream, curry, cumin, cayenne and salt, to taste.
- Simmer 5 minutes, adjust seasonings and serve garnished with chopped chives.
- For Vegan option use Soy Cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Yum! Yum! Yum! I love anything pumpkin, so I might be a bit biased! But DH loved it too- and he's not so into pumpkin. The kids thought it was too spicy even though I didn't add the cayenne. I might cut back on the curry powder so they can eat it too- or leave it ( I loved the curry flavor) and just make them chicken nuggets! I used half and half and will "temper" it next time (that is- put the half and half in a bowl and add some of the hot soup to the bowl slowly so the half and half warms up slowly. You add about a cup of soup to the bowl then stir the whole thing back into the pot of soup). I would do this because my half and half curdled a bit. It didn't affect the flavor but it makes it look less attractive. I will definitely make this again and again. Thanks!
Delicious! I changed the recipe a bit. I used canned "refried" black beans since they were already mashed. Instead of the cream I used vanilla coconut milk. The coconut with the curry and pumpkin smelled and tasted delicious. We served this soup over a scoop of rice. I will definitely make this again! Hard to believe something so easy could taste so good.
Wonderful! Quick and tasty! I didn't have corn. i think it would have been better with, but it was still delicious without. i used soy milk instead of cream, and like i said, it was great - but i bet it would have been even better with the cream. My roommate added shredded cheese to his and said it was just what it needed. i thought it was great as is. Although the flavor of the beans was very evident, next time i might add an extra can of black beans and make it "black bean and pumpkin" soup instead of "pumpkin and black bean" soup. thanks so much!!!!