Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a recipe that has been passed down through my family and we love, love, love it!! My husband calls it Chop Long Time, only because although it takes only 10 minutes to do the prep, it takes about 2-3 hours in the oven. I've done this recipe on the stove, in the oven and in the slow cooker and all have worked wonderfully! Enjoy!
- 3 pork butt steaks or 3 blade steaks
- 3 -4 medium onions, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- 1 green pepper, diced (optional)
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour or 2 -3 tablespoons cornstarch
- cooked rice
- In a large saute pan or roaster, saute onions, butter, and green pepper (if using) until soft and translucent.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- On med-high heat, sear pork on all sides.
- Put onions back in and add can of tomatoes.
- Pepper to taste.
- Put the lid on the pan or roaster and roast in 350 degree oven for approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Remove from the oven and take out 1/2 cup of liquid. Set the liquid aside to cool. Put pan back in the oven to continue cooking.
- When the meat is falling apart and off the bone, remove from oven.
- Add flour or cornstarch to the cooled liquid. Shake to combine and then add back to the pan, stirring it in to thicken.
- Serve over cooked rice.
This recipe is WONDERFUL. I grew up cooking rice and tomatoe gravy on the farm, and recently I just happened on this recipe. It had all the essence of fried pork chops and rice and tomato gravy without all the work, so I thought, I'm going to try it, but it just CAN'T be as good......well, it WAS! And the oven does all the work, and it's not FRIED food. Thank you SO much for this recipe. I'm forever grateful. Freida in Texas