Recipe by Annacia
A beautiful and delicious cake that will impress guests and family alike. Perfect for, but not limited to, the Autumn season. Why not give it a try?
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup canola oil
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2⁄3 cup caramel-flavored ice cream topping
- 1 unpeeled pear
- 1 cooking apple
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup dried cranberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease and flour two 9 x 1-1/2-inch round baking pans.
- In an extra-large bowl combine sour cream, water, oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With a large wire whisk, whisk until well combined. Add flour, cocoa powder, black pepper, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves; whisk vigorously until smooth. Divide batter between prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes until top springs back when lightly touched in center. Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely.
- Finely chop chocolate. In saucepan over medium-high heat bring whipping cream to boiling. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate until smooth. Cool to room temperature; chill until a spreadable, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, prepare Harvest Fruit.
- To assemble, place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with 1/2 of chocolate cream mixture. Top with the second layer. Arrange fruit in a single layer on top of cake. Pour caramel over top of fruit. Serve immediately. (Cake does not store well after fruit is added.) Makes 12 servings.
- HARVEST FRUIT:.
- Thinly slice pear lengthwise and apple horizontally. In medium saucepan combine apple juice and sugar; bring to boiling over medium-high heat.
- Add sliced fruit and dried cranberries; return to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, let stand 5 minutes. Strain and discard liquid. Cool to room temperature.