Prep 35 mins
Cook 35 mins
Lovely chocolate cake that is almost like a mud cake. I am always being asked to make this for birthdays.
- 1 3⁄4 cups self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄4 cup soft brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 milk
- 60 g unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 100 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup cream
- PREHEAT OVEN to a moderate 180c.
- Brush a deep 23cm (9inch) fluted ring tin with melted butter or oil.
- Sift the flour, soda and cocoa into a large bowl; add the sugars.
- Make a well in the centre.
- Add combined vanilla essence, eggs, milks and butter to dry ingredients.
- Using electric beaters, beat mixture on low 3 minutes or until moist.
- Beat mixture on high 5 minutes or until smooth and increased in volume.
- Fold in walnuts.
- Pour mixture into prepared tin; smooth surface.
- Bake at 35 minutes or until skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of cake.
- Leave cake in tin for 10 minutes, turn onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make chocolate sauce.
- Combine chocolate and cream in a small pan.
- Stir over low heat until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat, cool to room temperature.
- Pour sauce over cake.
- Decorate with two toned chocolate curls and icing sugar if desired.
Loved this cake. Looks like there is alot of steps but this is an easy recipe. I added whit choc curls to the top