Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A chocolate indulgence is a must for everyone, but that doesn't mean that you have to have excessive fat and calories. These chocolate-walnut lace cookie ice-cream sandwiches can be assembled as spectacular frozen towers, and the nutritional numbers are just as impressive. The easy-to-prepare cookies are made with the healthy fats in chopped walnuts, plus a small amount of intensely flavoured cocoa and a prudent amount of butter for that unmistakable taste. High-fibre oats add heft and texture to the batter, which is bound together with only 1 Tbsp. of egg white. As for the ice-cream, you can go with chocolate if you want an intense cocoa experience, or strawberry to add an appropriate touch of pink. A scoop of each wouldn't be so bad either. If you want ot be completely virtuous you use non-fat frozen yogurt or ice cream, bur varieties with even a small amount of fat tend to have a more luxurious mouth feel.
- Heat oven to 325°F Line a large baking sheet with foil and coat it with cooking spray or brush it with oil.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar and butter. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is melted and bubbling, 1-2 minutes. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl.
- Add oats, walnuts, cocoa, baking powder and vanilla, then stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to beat egg white until it is slightly frothy. Measure out 1 tablespoons of the beaten egg white and stir it into the cookie batter; discard remaining egg white or reserve for another use.
- Drop half tablespoonful of the batter about 2-inches apart on the prepared baking sheet to make 12 cookies. Bake 8-12 minutes or until cookies look dry and are just beginning to color on top.
- Slide sheet of foil and cookies off baking sheet and onto a flat surface. Let cookies cool completely. Peel cookies off foil.
- To assemble sandwiches, set a cookie in the center of a dessert plate. Top with 1/4 cup of the ice cream, set a second cookie on top of the ice cream, then top that with another 1/4 cup of the ice cream. Set a third cookie on top.
- As you assemble the sandwiches, place them in the freezer until ready to serve.