1/1 Photo of Chocolate Walnut Biscotti
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 5 mins
I love biscotti of all sorts, and this recipe, packed with walnuts in a double chocolate dough, is just delicious. Adopted from Mean Chef in September 2006, I have left the original directions intact, but added my comments and notations in parentheses. As presented, this yields about 30 six inch long cookies. If you want smaller biscotti, divide the dough into 3 logs, and reduce your baking time accordingly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (try a dark chocolate for a more intense chocolate flavor)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1Preheat oven to 300°F Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper (waxed paper will not work, it will smoke.).
- 2In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, combine the chocolate and sugar and grind until the chocolate is very fine. Set aside.
- 3In a bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- 4In a mixing bowl combine the eggs and the vanilla. Beat at medium speed to blend.
- 5Reduce the speed to low, add the chocolate and flour mixtures and mix until a stiff dough forms, adding the walnuts when about half mixed.
- 6Transfer the dough to a floured surface and gather it together. Divide in half. Form each half into a log 12 inches long. (Give the logs plenty of space on both sides as the width of the logs doubles during baking.).
- 7Carefully transfer the logs to the prepared baking sheet, spacing them evenly.
- 8Pat to even up the shapes. Bake until almost firm to the touch, about 50 minutes. (I have found that 40 minutes was sufficient).
- 9Let cool for 10 minutes. (Do not let it cool for longer as the logs will become brittle and more difficult to slice without breaking.).
- 10Leave the oven set at 300°F.
- 11Using a spatula, transfer the logs to a work surface. Using a serrated knife, cut on the diagonal into slices 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Return the slices cut side down to the baking sheet.
- 12Bake for 25 minutes. (I baked mine 15 minutes and the biscotti were very crispy).
- 13Turn the slices over and bake until crispy and dry, about 25 minutes longer. (Again, I found 15 minutes to be good).
- 14Transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool.
- 15Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 month.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Walnut Biscotti
Serving Size: 1 (988 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 138.8
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 18.6 mg
- Sodium 69.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 3.4 g