Recipe by ambergerbuns
This is the BEST chocolate cake ever, from the most wonderful animal-friendly restaurant in Athens, GA. If driving through, be sure to stop at The Grit, and after a wonderfully huge, satisfying meal, order cake! I've included two icing versions - chocolate and cream cheese. Enjoy!
Top Review by jfresh444
sooo yummy! when filling the pans, make sure to just fill it halfway or baking times are way off!! i made this for my group of friends for a party and everyone loved it, and went back for seconds! i didn't tell them the icing had tofu in it until after and they were amazed. this is a great chocolate cake and very rich and pretty easy to make. loved it!
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups strong brewed coffee
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 (12 ounce) package firm silken tofu
- 3 cups semisweet vegan chocolate chips (many semisweet brands contain no dairy)
Cream Cheese Icing
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, slightly softened and cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 4 cups powdered confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease 3 (9-inch) round cake pans, dust with flour, and line bottom with parchment or wax paper.
- Sift together dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add oil and vanilla extract. With electric mixer on low speed, blend until fully combined. With mixer on medium speed, gradually blend in coffee. When mixture is smooth, add vinegar and blend on low speed just until combined.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or just until a knife or toothpick inserted in the center of layers comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool 15 to 20 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from pans and allow layers to cool completely before icing.
- Chocolate Icing:.
- Drain excess fluid from silken tofu, crush and place in a medium saucepan with chocolate chips. Stir together over medium heat until chocolate is very soft. Transfer to food processor and puree until fully blended. Cool to spreadable consistency and frost between layers, and top and sides of cake.
- Cream Cheese Icing:.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese in a large bowl until smooth. Add butter and beat until smooth, creamy, and fully combined. Add powdered confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract and beat slowly until sugar is incorporated. Continue to beat until consistency is extremely smooth and fluffy.
- Hint: Due to dark cake crumbs and white cream cheese icing, it may be useful to first apply a crumb coating - a very thin initial coating of icing to trap crumbs. After applying, place cake in the freezer for a few minutes to solidify crumb coat and proceed with a clean, crumb-free spatula to decorate cake with remaining icing. Then garnish with chocolate shavings, candies, or cookies, if desired.