Recipe by evelyn/athens
Adapted from "The Sugar Mill Caribbean Cookbook" by Jinx and Jefferson Morgan. Creamy chocolate filling in a chocolate crust with just a hint of coffee flavor. Easy to make and pretty to look at, this tart also transports well, making it perfect for picnics or gatherings. A delectable tart that will be the hit of the party!
Top Review by spatchcock
Ok, I didn't add the Tia Maria because I am not sure what it is, and anyway, I didn't have any around the house. I just replaced it with some more milk. I've made this tart twice in the last 8 days--once for a special dinner for DH and I and once for a party with many university prof types. It was raved over both times! Fabulous!!!
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup cold strong coffee
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons Tia Maria
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts, toasted 8 to 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven
- confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- For the crust, put the flour, cocoa, salt, and sugar in to a food processor, and blend them by turning the machine on and off three or four times.
- Distribute the chilled butter pieces over the flour in the processor.
- Turn the machine on and off several times, until the mixture looks like small crumbs.
- Add the coffee, and turn the machine on briefly until the contents are well-mixed.
- Using your fingers, press the dough into the bottom and side of a 9-inch tart pan, Chill the crust for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the filling, beat the chocolate, sugar, butter, milk, and Tia Maria together with a whisk.
- Add the beaten eggs and walnuts, and stir.
- Pout the filling into the chilled tart shell, and bake the tart for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the top is dry and firm.
- To decorate the tart, place strips of waxed paper in a criss-cross pattern o the top, and sift on powdered sugar.
- Carefully remove the paper.
- Serve with ice cream, if desired.