Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This is the first time making biscotti. Although the chocolate is not very rich, the light chocolate favour is just about right for me - low fat, low cab cooker. Hope you will enjoy it. less sugar and butter and simple ingredient.
- 50 g butter (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 1⁄2 egg yolk (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- very little salt (less than 1/8 tsp)
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder (i use 70% cocoa)
- Preheat oven at 175 degree
- cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- add the eggs and egg yolk , one at a time and mix well after each addition.
- beat in vanilla extract and chocolate syrup.
- in a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder together.
- Add to butter mixture and mix well
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface. Form into a log 10 inches (25 cm) long (depending on the size of your dough) Do this by rolling the dough back and forth into a cylinder shape with floured hands.
- Transfer the logs to the baking sheet, bake until firm to the touch, about 25 - 30 minutes (logs will spread during baking). Remove from the oven, place on a wire rack, and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Using a long spatula transfer the logs to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut the logs into slices about 3/4 inch (2 cm) thick on the diagonal. Arrange the slices on the baking sheet and bake on about 8 - 10 minutes.
- Turn the slices over and bake until crisp and dry, about 8 - 10 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack.