1/3 Photos of Chocolate Surprise Turtle Cheesecake
2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 5 mins
This cheesecake has a surprise layer of chocolate on top of the crust when it is cut. Mmmm, so yummy. I was trying to mimic Johnny Carino's Turtle Cheesecake, but I didn't quite get it right. This still tastes AWESOME, in my opinion, though. I wouldn't bother looking at the nutition info... :) *Note:* Prep time does not include cheesecake cooling or chilling time. Updated 5/12/09 to add: The melted chocolate layer on top of the crust can become quite solid after refrigeration (...not how I envisioned it!), making it difficult to cut. Fudge ice cream topping might be better AND stay ooey-gooey when the cheesecake is cold. If you try this out, let me know what you did and how it works out!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped, toasted and divided
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (heaping)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) package caramels, unwrapped
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1Combine graham cracker crumbs, 1/2 cup of pecans, and butter; blend well. Press into the bottom and 1 inch up the sides of a 10-inch springform pan. Place the crust in the refrigerator while making the ganache.
- 2Combine the 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream and 2 Tablespoons butter in a microwave-safe measuring cup. Heat on HIGH for 30 seconds, or until the butter melts. Add the chocolate chips, and stir with a wire whisk until mixture is smooth (heating in 20-second increments on HIGH, if necessary).
- 3Pour, and spread, over the crust, within 1 inch from the edges of the pan. Place in the freezer until fudge is firm, about 30 minutes.
- 4In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar and vanilla; mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition; do not over-mix. Carefully spread over the ganache filling.
- 5Bake, in a water bath, at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 5 minutes, or until filling is almost set. Let cheesecake sit in the turned-off oven for one hour with the door ajar.
- 6Remove from the oven, and cool, on a wire rack, to room temperature. Chill in the refrigerator overnight.
- 7The next day, in a saucepan over medium heat, melt the bag of unwrapped caramels with 1/3 cup of cream, continuously stirring until smooth. Take off the heat, and cool 5 minutes. Pour on top of cheesecake within 1 inch of the edge.
- 8Coat the sides and top edge with remaining pecans and melted chocolate drizzled around the edge. When ready to serve, cut the cheesecake with a hot knife. (Store the unused caramel in fridge as dipping sauce for fruit.).
Browse Our Top Cheesecake Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Surprise Turtle Cheesecake
Serving Size: 1 (156 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 607.1
- Calories from Fat 398
- Total Fat 44.3 g
- Saturated Fat 23.5 g
- Cholesterol 149.2 mg
- Sodium 357.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 36.4 g
- Protein 9.6 g