Taste of Home
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 15mins
- 2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 (14 ounce) package caramels
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 cups chopped pecans, toasted and divided
- 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsel, melted and slightly cooled
- whipped cream (optional)
- Combine crumbs and butter; blend well.
- Press into the bottom and 2 inches up the sides of a 10-inch springform pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until set; cool.
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt caramels in milk, stirring until smooth.
- Cool 5 minutes.
- Pour into crust; top with 1 1/2 cups of pecans.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Add sugar and vanilla; mix well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add chocolate; mix just until blended.
- Carefully spread over pecans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 55-65 minutes or until filling is almost set.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Chill overnight.
- Ganish with remaining pecans and whipped cream if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
My husband loves this cheesecake - he likes the surprise layer of caramel right before the crust. I made the cheesecake for a pie auction last year, and it was one of the highest selling pies. The most difficult part of making this cheesecake is unwrapping all the caramels. If you are looking for a cheesecake to dazzle your guests, this one is a winner!