Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Ssshhhhh! The surprises are: 1) the raspberry in the center, and 2) these muffins are good for you, with bran and wheat germ, and no added fats! Don't tell, and they will never know.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease muffin tins.
- In a large bowl, mix the yogurt with the milk. Mix in the beaten egg, honey and vanilla.
- Add the bran and wheat germ, mix and let stand for several minutes to absorb the liquids.
- Into another bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. Stir together well.
- Add to the wet mixture and stir only until combined.
- Drop mixture into muffin tins until 1/3 full.
- Add 1 heaping teaspoon raspberry preserves to the middle of each muffin tin.
- Top with remaining muffin batter until each tin is 3/4 full.
- Place the muffin tins on a baking sheet and bake 15-20 minutes, until muffins have a firm feel and slightly springs back when lightly touched.
- Let cool 5 minutes in the tins, then turn out and let cool completely on a wire rack.
OUTSTANDING! Loved the chocolate & raspberry combo, not to mention the neat surprise! I did take another reviewer's suggestion & used 1/2 cup of cocoa, but then I REALLY LIKE CHOCOLATE! Thanks for sharing a real keeper of a recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Went to the Market cooking game]
I agree with a previous reviewer that these are WW worthy if using a SF type jam. I did on two (as that's all I had) and the rest I used regular Smucker's Brand Raspberry Jam. These muffins are plenty dense as a good bran muffin should. I love the choco-flavor added for my choco-fix. This recipe is easily adaptable as you could omit the chocolate if not a lover of choco-raspberry. (or any flavor). I give this 5 stars!!! Made for MarketTag~
Cool...these are like chocolate bran muffins! The texture was great, heavy, moist and fluffy. I would have liked to have a bit more of a chocolate flavour. After eating one my dad commented that there must be a lot of molasses in here to make them so dark. Next time I think i would increase the cocoa to 1/2 cup. The raspberry surprise in the centre was great! Overall we really enjoyed these. Thanks! Reviewed during ZWT 4.