Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
For those who love chocolate anytime of day. My kids love these! Cooking time includes prep. time. (Note: 1 tablespoon of orange liquer can be mixed into egg mixture if desired).
- 6 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- Cut a pocket horizontally in each slice of bread through the top of crust.
- Fill each bread slice with chocolate chips. Make batter by mixing eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon,liqueur(optional) and nutmeg in a shallow dish.
- One at a time, carefully dip the filled bread slices into the egg mixture to coat both sides.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat. Cook the slices on the hot pan until golden brown on both sides, using more butter as needed.
- Transfer 2 slices to each plate, dust with powdered sugar before serving. Dust with powdered sugar and serve with maple syrup.