French Toast Pockets
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This recipe takes French Toast to a new and nirvanic level. My kids aren't crazy about coconut, so I leave it out, but I have seen adults (and other people's children) just inhale these!
- Ready In:
- 8 slices white bread, very thick
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 8 tablespoons coarsely chopped pecans
- 7 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup crushed corn flakes
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- Combine cream cheese, vanilla, chopped pecans and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Set aside.
- Combine eggs, milk, nutmeg and 4 tablespoons of sugar until well blended.
- Set aside.
- Combine crushed cornflakes with coconut and set aside.
- Cut down through the top and along one side of each slice of bread.
- Spread a generous tablespoon of cream cheese filling inside of each pocket.
- Preheat a greased griddle.
- Dip the bread pockets into the egg/milk mixture, then press them into corn flake/coconut mixture, coating both sides of each pocket slice.
- Cook until golden on both sides.
- Serve warm with syrup.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
What a decadent, company quality breakfast! And easy to make too! Rather than thick white bread, I used two slices of regular white bread for each piece--a sandwich rather than a pocket--this worked just fine. Left out the pecans due to an allergy. Without the nuts, I found it a bit too sweet--next time I'll cut back on the sugar. I felt the coconut added more texture than taste--something i'm likely to use if I have it and not worry if I don't. Having the coating was different and neat! Thanks for a winner Mirj!Reply