Recipe by HOUSEMANAGER (Charlene)
This is my all-time favorite devil's food chocolate cake. Inspired by Anne Byrn the Cake Mix Doctor I have become quite a fan of jazzing up cake mix. I have a host of decadent frostings for all my cakes, but let me entice you here to try this deep rich chocolate cake adorned with what I call suede. If you love peanut butter and chocolate and who doesn't...you're going to love this super easy cake!
Top Review by MizzNezz
WOW!! Total indulgence! This is fantastic. We wanted something really sweet so I went looking for a cake. This one turned out to be so easy and it really is delicious! I didn't freeze it before frosting, didn't want to wait that long! But it frosted very easily anyway. The frosting is very light and fluffy, it goes great on the cake. My hubby devoured this! Thanks Charlene, this will be a regular.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) packagepudding-enhanced devil's food cake mix
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 8 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Mist a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with vegetable oil spray. Set aside.
- COMBINE the cake mix, cocoa powder, buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer until the batter is thick and smooth. Pour into prepared pan.
- BAKE the cake until it springs back when lightly pressed with your finger, approximately 40 minutes. Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 30 minutes more and then slip the whole cake still in the pan into your freezer. (Frozen cakes are much easier to frost.) Now you can prepare the suede frosting.
- COMBINE peanut butter and butter with your electric mixer on low speed until fluffy, stop the machine. Add the confectioners' sugar, milk, and the vanilla. Continue to blend on low until the sugar is well combined. Increase the speed and beat until frosting has a texture resembling suede. Use at once to frost cake.
- STORE covered at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge up to 1 week.