Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Better Homes and Gardens
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 teaspoons orange peel, finely shredded (set aside)
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add 2/3 cup of the sugar and salt; beat until combined.
- Add the 3 eggs and the yolk, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in 1/4 cup of the orange juice until combined.
- Add the 1-1/2 cups flour; beat until combined.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of the orange peel and the 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans.
- Spread in a greased 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned (mixture may puff, but will fall when removed from oven).
- Meanwhile, in a bowl use a wire whisk to combine the 4 eggs, remaining 1 cup sugar, remaining 2 teaspoons peel, remaining 1/4 cup orange juice, and the 3 tablespoons flour until smooth.
- Stir in finely chopped chocolate and 1-1/2 cups nuts.
- Spread over hot crust.
- Return to oven.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes more or until set.
- Cool in pan on rack.
- Drizzle bars with melted chocolate.
- Cut into diamonds.