Recipe by berry271
Fun dessert or snack bar I adapted from a recipe found in the April/May 2011 issue of Taste of Home. Originally submitted by Sherry Johnston. The magazine suggests cutting the bars with a serrated knife that has been run under hot water and dried, using a straight down motion as opposed to sawing motion, and wiping the knife clean in between cuts.
- cooking spray
- 236.59 ml softened butter, divided (2 sticks)
- 236.59 ml sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 4.92 ml vanilla, divided
- 532.32 ml flour, divided
- 59.14 ml baking cocoa
- 1.23 ml salt, divided
- 236.59 ml chopped Andes mints candies
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, cream 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add one egg and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla and beat well.
- Gradually add 1 cup flour, cocoa, and 1/8 teaspoons salt, mixing well after each addition.
- Spread mixture into 9x13 dish.
- In a mixing bowl cream remaining 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter and remaining 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add remaining egg and remaining 1/2 teaspoons vanilla and beat well.
- Gradually add remaining 1 1/4 cups flour and remaining 1/8 teaspoons salt, mixing well after each addition.
- Gently spread over chocolate layer and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle chopped Andes mints over the top.
- Bake until chocolate begins to melt, about 1 additional minute.
- Spread melted chocolate over the top of the bars.
- Cool completely.
- Cut into 24 squares, and then cut squares into triangles.