Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Fresh TV. Cooking time is an estimate.
- 60 g butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 0.75 (110 g) self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar icing
- 1 -2 tablespoon boiling water or 1 -2 tablespoon hot milk
- 30 g butter, softened
- 3 drops peppermint extract (to taste)
- 150 g dark chocolate, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan-forced. Grease a 22cm springform cake tin.
- Beat butter and sugars together until pale and fluffy. Stir in milk, flour, cocoa powder and salt.
- Lightly grease hands and press mixture into base of prepared tin. Bake in preheated oven 12 minutes or until firm to touch. Remove from oven and cool in tin.
- Make the peppermint centre: using a wooden spoon beat the icing sugar with the water and butter until desired consistency is reached. Add peppermint essence to taste. Spread over cooled biscuit base and refrigerate until set.
- Meanwhile melt chocolate and stir in vegetable oil; spread thinly over peppermint layer using a palette knife. Refrigerate until set. Cut into thin wedges or squares to serve.