Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Tablets of Mexican chocolate, specially flavored cinnamon, almonds, and sugar can be purchased in Mexican or Latin American grocery stores. You can also blend your own "Mexican chocolate" with the same ingredients.
- 3 ounces BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate or 3 ounces chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 cups milk
- 3 ounces of Mexican chocolate can replace the first 4 ingredients listed.
- Break chocolate into smaller pieces and place in a 2-quart microwavable glass measuring cup. (If you are using baker's chocolate or chocolate morsels, add cinnamon, sugar and almond extract).
- Stir in milk.
- Microwave, uncovered, on High for 4 minutes. Stir. Microwave on High for 2 to 4 more minutes or until the chocolate has melted and the milk is close to boiling. Very small bubbles will form on the surface and edges of the milk, which will begin to coat the container.
- Whip with a wire whisk or egg beater until the chocolate has dissolved completely and the milk is frothy.
- Pour into mugs and serve hot.
Yum! So rich and flavorful. I used semisweet chocolate chips. Thanks for sharing! ZWT8
This was a comforting cocoa following a delicious Mexican dinner tonight. I loved the chocolate, cinnamon and almond extract. It really satisfied my sweet tooth. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT8 for the Diners, Winers and Chives team.
This was a lovely cocoa morgainegeiser, I enjoyed it very much. Really loved the combination of chocolate, cinnamon and almond extract. It was a rich, smooth drink that was full of body and flavor. Thanks for sharing a recipe that I will make again. Made for the Fearless Red Dragons - ZWT8 - Mexixo