Recipe by HEP MEP
My birthday cake this year! Found it on the Internet - don't remember where.
Top Review by Michelle S.
This cake has wonderful flavor and the old time texture we no longer get with our pudding in the mix cake mixes that ooze with moisture. I baked this as a 13x9 (as the recipe states) but I feel it would be spectacular as a layer cake. The recipe certainly has enough frosting to cover it. Oh, the frosting...I could eat myself into a sugar induced coma over that frosting...it is simply THAT good. Meppie, I am going to miss you.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 cup instant malted milk powder
- 3⁄4 cup packed cocoa powder
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy; add malted milk powder and cocoa and beat till just combined.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Sift together dry ingredients and add to chocolate mixture alternately with half and half.
- Spread evenly in a well-greased 9x13 pan, and bake 35-40 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- For Frosting:.
- 1/2 cup half and half.
- 1/2 cup malted milk powder.
- 1/2 cup butter,softened.
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder.
- 2/12 cups powdered sugar.
- Stir together half and half and malted milk powder and let sit for 15 minutes to dissolve the powder.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the butter and cocoa.
- Add malted milk mixture and beat well.
- Add powdered sugar and beat on high till fully combined.