Recipe by Stoblogger
A nicely decorated chocolate cake always makes an impressive presentation, even if it is semi-homemade. Adding raspberry cream filling between layers and a rich, chocolate-raspberry ganache on top, gives ordinary chocolate cake a hint of elegance and interest. Prep time will vary depending on time spent decorating.
Top Review by goyeabean
Made this cake for my friend's birthday. It tasted awesome. I had left over filling and ganache which we later used on top of some sundaes. I also used kittencal's Chocolate Frosting (Recipe #89207). Thanks for a great recipe!
- 1 (20 ounce) box chocolate cake mix, prepared as directed
RASPBERRY CREAM FILLING
- 1⁄4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 16 ounces prepared chocolate frosting, not whipped
RASPBERRY CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons seedless raspberry jam
- 2 teaspoons raspberry liqueur (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- CHOCOLATE CAKE.
- Prepare Chocolate Cake according to package directions in two 9 inch cake pans.
- Cool completely. For best results and time permitting, place the layers in freezer until firm.
- RASPBERRY CREAM FILLING.
- Place softened cream cheese and jam in a mixing bowl and cream together until well incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until it reaches desired consistency. Use more or less than 2 cups, as desired.
- Frost only ONE of the cooled layers leaving a 1 inch unfrosted margin all around the edge of the layer. Then place the other layer on the Raspberry Filling. The top layer will push the Raspberry Filling toward the edges of the cake, that's why it's important to leave the 1 inch margin.
- CHOCOLATE FROSTING.
- Beat the frosting in mixing bowl for 2-3 minutes.
- Completely frost the sides of the cake.
- Put remaining frosting in decorating bag. Using a large star tip, create a shell border around the top of the cake. The border will keep the ganache on top of the cake. Place cake in refrigerator until ganache is ready.
- RASPBERRY CHOCOLATE GANACHE.
- Combine cocoa, sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan and whisk.
- Gradually add water and jam, continue to whisk the mixture.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly.
- Remove from the heat and stir in raspberry liqueur, if using.
- Let cool slightly.
- Remove cake from refrigerator and pour/spread ganache on top.
- Garnish with candies or raspberries.