Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cocoa, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 cups medium-fine ground blanched almonds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon shortening
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- Heat oven to 325 F (160 C). Place egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on high speed, using the whisk attachment, until egg whites are stiff. Add the sugar slowly and continue beating until mixture is very thick; 2 to 3 minutes.
- Beat in cocoa until combined. Stir in almonds and mix until completely blended. The batter should be thick and sticky.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment. Dampen hands and shape about 1 heaping teaspoons (5 ml) of dough into a 1-in. (3 cm) ball. Pinch the ball with your fingers to form a teardrop shape; place on prepared baking sheet. Continue the process, spacing cookies 2 inches (5 cm) apart, until all the dough is used.
- Bake until cookies are slightly cracked; 15 to 17 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet for several minutes, then transfer cookies to a rack to cool completely.
- Combine shortening and melted chocolate. Spoon about 1/2 teaspoons (2 ml) of chocolate on to the flat side of a cooled cookie and place another cookie on top. Press together gently so the chocolate oozes out slightly. Return cookie to rack, and let chocolate harden. Repeat process with remaining cookies.