Prep 26 mins
Cook 8 hrs 30 mins
One of my favorite cookies are Forgotten Cookies....the meringue ones!! YUMMY!! This is similar and can't wait to try them. Cooking time does seem long but if you put these in the oven before bed, they are ready when you wake up!!
- 2 egg whites
- 1.23 ml cream of tartar
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract, divided
- 236.59 ml pecans, finely chopped
- 14.79 ml powdered sugar, sifted
- 118.29 ml butter
- 44.37 ml half-and-half
- 532.32 ml powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed with a mixer until foamy.
- Gradually add the 1/2 cup of sugar, 1 Tbs at a time, until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved - about 2-4 minute.
- Stir in 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and chopped pecans.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto baking sheets lined with aluminum foil.
- Dip a finger in the Tbs of powdered sugar and make an indentation in the center of each cookie.
- Place in the oven and immediately turn the oven OFF. Don't open the door for at least 8 hours.
- Remove from oven, and carefully peel cookies from foil.
- Combine butter, cocoa, and half and half in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Add the 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar and beat well with an electric mixer.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 tsp vanilla.
- Just before serving, pipe cocoa mixture into the indentation of each cookie with a star tip - if you have one.