Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a flourless, rich, dense cake which is as creamy as cheesecake- so serve tiny slices. It is a passover recipe (just make sure to dust the pan with Passover cake meal instead of flour) but would be delicious year round. Enjoy!
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup espresso, plus
- 2 tablespoons espresso
- 16 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 6 eggs
- 6 egg yolks
- icing sugar (garnish)
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Grease 9" springform pan.
- Place wax paper on bottom of pan, grease and flour; set aside.
- Place butter, sugar and espresso in a double boiler and heat until sugar dissolves.
- Pour hot liquid over chocolate and stir until dissolved; set aside.
- Beat eggs and yolks until frothy; add to the chocolate mixture and pour into pan Bake for 1 hour; edges should crack slightly.
- Remove from oven and cool; cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours (when you remove it from the oven, it won't look done- it isn't!).
- Remove from pan and sprinkle with icing sugar.
- Garnish with strawberries and a a mint leaf if desired.
Fantastic! This was not as dense as I'd expected, but it was very, very creamy and tasted wonderfully chocolatey! Rich - but went down, oh, so easily. This will be a great (and super-easy to make!) dessert to have over the holidays. I used a cup of sugar (right, I cut a whole tblsp out of the recipe, who am I kidding?LOL) and I did add a tsp of vanilla to the 'batter' (really a custard). The batter was very thin, and I had problems once I poured it into my springform pan cause it started to leak slightly (old pan), so if you suspect this may happen to you, be sure to seal well with aluminum foil on the outside. My springform was 10 inches but the batter filled it really right up to the lip of the pan, so I'm not sure about the 9 inch. Do try this recipe!
This torte was fantastic! I made it for Valentine's Day for my bf. It's rich a creamy and I wouldn't change a thing! Thanks for sharing it!
This turned out great! I made it in mini springforms (one of my boys decided to wear the regular springform ring like a belt and warped it) and they turned out perfect. They took almost an hour to cook as well. When I pulled this out of the fridge the next day I thought that it wasn't going to be very good, because they seemed so hard like day old brownies. Once they came to room temp I was delighted to see they werent hard at all. Thanks for a keeper!