Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I looked for a cupcake recipe online becuase I only had 2 eggs and the cake mix I had called for 3 eggs. I thought that the end result was worth the few extra minutes it took to put everything together. I made these for St. Patrick's Day. I doubled the filling recipe and used it for both the filling and the frosting. I tinted the filling green and I added a smidge (1/4 teaspoon) of mint extract.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup softened butter
- 1⁄4 cup white shortening (like Crisco)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 pinch salt
- chocolate frosting (optional)
- Blend the sugar, milk, oil, water, eggs and vanilla until thoroughly blended.
- Gradually blend the dry ingredients into the sugar mixture.
- Fill the cupcake papers 1/2 to 2/3 full.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until they test done.
- Cool completely.
- In another bowl, combine the filling ingredients and beat until light and fluffy.
- Place filling in a pastry bag fitted with a small tip.
- Place tip of the pastry bag into the cupcake and fill.
- Frost cupcakes if desired.