Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Mmmmmm.....Chocolate! You can use these crepes in these decadent recipes: Hot Fudge Crepes, Chocolate Nut Crepes, Chocolate Mousse Crepes or Creme De Cacao Crepes. This is a recipe from an old 1970's cookbook that myself and my oldest Son still cook from. They are really great and very easy. I included the one hour resting time in the preparation time. Enjoy!
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Beat the eggs, then add the buttermilk and vanilla and mix well by hand or in an electric blender. We use a blender because it mixes well and is easy to pour from.
- Sift the flour with the sugar and cocoa and slowly add to the egg and buttermilk mixture.
- Stir in the melted butter or vegetable oil and blend thoroughly.
- If beating by hand, strain the mixture through a sieve to remove any lumps.
- Set aside and allow mixture to stand for at least an hour before using (my kids can't do that!). If the batter is too thick, add a little milk and mix.
- Pour one or two tablespoons of the batter in the centre of a hot, nonstick frying pan. Tilt to spread the batter to the edges of the pan. Cook until the top is dry. Turn over and cook the other side for about 15 seconds. Don't worry if the first couple aren't perfect - those are the trial ones for me!
- You can roll these with strawberries inside and top with whipped cream. Be adventuresome and try it with whatever sounds good with chocolate!
What a yummy treat! I cut the recipe in half and used regular milk and they were PERFECT! Since I had strawberries on handl filled them with Sharon123's Strawberry and Cream Cheese Crepes. They were OVER THE TOP good! Thanks Nif for sharing!