Basic Crepe Batter
photo by horselovingdancer
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- Beat together the eggs and milk with a whisk or in an electric blender. (We always use the blender and it's easy to pour from).
- Sift the flour with the salt and add to the egg and milk mixture.
- Add the melted butter or vegetable oil and blend thoroughly.
- If beating by hand, strain the mixture through a sieve to remove any lumps.
- Allow mixture to stand for at least an hour before using (my kids can't do that!). If the batter is too thick, add a little milk and mix.
- Pour one or two tablespoons of the batter in the centre of a hot, nonstick frying pan. Tilt to spread the batter to the edges of the pan. Cook until the top is dry. Turn over and cook the other side for about 15 seconds. Don't worry if the first couple aren't perfect - those are the trial ones for me!
- You can roll these with fruit inside and top with whipped cream. My kids like using peanut butter and bananas and I like blueberries or spinach and mushrooms. Be adventuresome!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I use the pretty much the same proportions of all the ingredients, just mix it up occasionally, for vegan, use egg replacer , 2 tablespoons of canola, plain Cashew or Almond milk works well. I used 1/2 cup spelt flour and 1/2 cup organic all purpose flour.... and for improved flavor, try a teaspoon of vanilla extract, or a tablespoon of carnation malted milk powder.
Quick easy and delicious. It doesn't get any easier than this. I did use the blender, it works beautifully, thanks for the recommendation. The crepes were perfect, soft, tender and flavorful. I paired them with recipe #447850 for a lovely breakfast. Made for the Fearless Red Dragons- Family Picks - Zingo Round