1/1 Photo of Chocolate-Covered Cherry Mice
Nana Lee's Note:
These chocolate-covered cherry mice are fun to create and make an adorable presentation for parties, bake sales, and of course, Halloween. Let the kids help by setting up a production line, and they will have a ball. These candy mice are almost too cute to eat. Check out the step-by-step instructions with photos before you begin. Here's the link: http://homecooking.about.com/od/dessertrecipes/r/blcandy25.htm The recipe calls for chocolate chips but I find they are very small.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Before starting, you may wish to take a look at the step-by-step instructions with photos. SEE LINK IN DESCRIPTION ABOVE.
- 2Line a cookie sheet with waxed or parchment paper.
- 3Rinse the maraschino cherries, drain thoroughly, and let dry on paper towels, turning often.
- 4The cherries must be completely dry or the chocolate will seize and get crumbly.
- 5Gently melt chocolate, butter, and paraffin in a double boiler until smooth, stirring often to prevent burning.
- 6Once melted, turn off heat, but leave in the double-boiler on the burner.
- 7Dip dry cherries in melted chocolate to completely cover up to the stem.
- 8Place on lined cookie sheet.
- 9Immediately press on chocolate chip, flat side to the front of the dipped cherry, to form a head.
- 10While chocolate is still warm, wedge two sliced almonds between chocolate chip and cherry to form ears. Let cool.
- 11Use a toothpick to dab beady red eyes on either side of the chocolate chip with the red gel icing.
- 12Refrigerate to firmly set chocolate.
- 14If fresh sweet cherries are in season, by all means use them.
- 15Paraffin is sold in the canning supplies section, usually under the brand Gulf Wax.
- 16You can use the giant chocolate bars for the semisweet chocolate, or semisweet baking squares, or chocolate chips.
- 17If your cherries are exceptionally large, you may wish to use chocolate kisses for the heads.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate-Covered Cherry Mice
Serving Size: 1 (43 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 141.1
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.3 mg
- Sodium 5.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 12.0 g
- Protein 2.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red decorating gel