Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
These are a staple at our family gatherings during the holidays. The coffee gives a grown up taste, yet the kids love them, too.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder (Sanka or espresso)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans, finely chopped
- Sift together flour, coffee powder, salt and baking powder; set aside.
- Beat butter, brown sugar, and ¼ cup granulated sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Stir in flour mixture ½ cup at a time alternating with the cream.
- Cover, chill 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Using approximately 3 tbsp for each, form dough into logs 3 inches long and 1 ½ inches in diameter.
- Place logs 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from baking sheet and cool on rack.
- In top of a double boiler combine the chocolate pieces, water and 2 tbsp sugar.
- Stir over hot water until chocolate melts.
- Add vanilla, remove from heat.
- Dip ends of each cookie into chocolate and then into chopped nuts.
- Place on wax paper until chocolate hardens.
- Store in air tight container.