Recipe by franja
You know how we all love those choccy chip nut cookies? Well, imagine that idea in a CAKE! Hmmmmmmmmmmm......I DO love cake, and this one in particular as you can vary the amount of chocolate or nuts, or even the type of nuts - go on - make your OWN version of this recipe. It's also rather unusual as it uses the 'rubbed in' method more usually associated with pastries. As written, this is a lovely 'English Tea Loaf' - you know, slice thin and serve with afternoon tea; but add more chocolate and nuts and it becomes an 'afternoon delight' that you'd be lucky to divide into 8 servings!
- 8 ounces self-raising flour
- 4 ounces butter or 4 ounces margarine
- 5 ounces caster sugar
- 3 -4 ounces chocolate chips
- 3 -4 ounces chopped nuts (walnut and plain choc chips work particularly well)
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Sieve flour into bowl.
- Rub in fat until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add sugar, choc chips, nuts, egg and enough milk to make a sticky consistency.
- Pour into a loaf tin and bake.
- Cooking time: 60 – 75 minutes.
- Oven Temp: Gas 4 (325-350F / 160-180C).