Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is PERFECT for your honey on Valentines Day.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1⁄3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 (12 ounce) package chocolate chips
- 24 pieces of hard wood dowel 1/4' diameter cut to 12'.
- In a bowl cream together butter, sugars with a mixer.
- Beat in egg and add vanilla.
- Mix together flour, soda, baking powder and oats. Blend well with butter mix.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Shape into 24 walnut-sized balls.
- Assemble 1 at a time on a greased baking sheet.
- Set ball at 1 of narrow ends, insert dowel into center of ball.
- Then pat dough into 2 1/2 rd; keep dowel in center of rd and covered by dough.
- Repeat, placing rds about 2" apart.
- At opposite end of cookie sheet, center dough between dowels. A pan holds 5-6 cookies.
- Bake at 375° for 15 minutes.
- Slide spatula under each cookie to release from pan.
- Leave in place for 5 minutes, then carefully lay cookies with dowels on cookie racks.
- To wrap, enclose each cookie in plastic wrap and tie with ribbon to keep airtight.