Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
My neighbors here in the Pyrenees had never tasted banana bread, so I played around until I came up with one that would really "wow" them!
- 1 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 5 large very ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups dark brown sugar, packed
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips (for those who don't like chocolate) or 1 cup raisins (for those who don't like chocolate)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Combine butter, eggs and bananas and vanilla.
- Add sugar. Blend until smooth
- Add salt, baking powder, baking soda and flour.
- Mix well.
- Add raisins or chocolate chips. Mix well.
- Spoon into 2 greased loaf pans.
- Bake at 375°F for 45 minutes or until tester comes out clean, could take up to an hour.
This recipe is a little confusing in that it doesn't list the ingredients in the order used. It never mentions the butter should be melted or when to add the heavy cream. Also, this amount of ingredients for me made 4 mini loaves plus 1 full loaf. The bread itself was good but maybe the amounts should be adjusted.
This was good but I changed the technique a bit. Firstly,the recipe doesn't say when to add the heavy cream. I creamed the butter and brown sugar together first. Then I added the eggs and vanilla and beat and then added the heavy cream and then added the bananas. I sifted the dry ingredients together and added them. I stirred in a full bag of chips (2 cups) b/c just 1 cup didn't seem like enough. This recipe made 2 full loaves plus 4 mini loaves for me. I would recommend flouring the chocolate chips before you add them b/c mine all sunk to the bottom and I ended up with a two layer banana bread. The top was banana bread and the bottom was chocolate chip bread.