Prep 50 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Sunset Magazine
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa, plus
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Sift cake flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and set aside.
- Whisk together egg yolks, oil, and 1/3 cup water until blended. Whisk in 3/4 cup sugar. Add to flour mixture and stir until well blended.
- Beat egg whites until frothy. Gradually add remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, beating just until soft peaks form. Add egg-white mixture to batter and fold in until evenly blended.
- Fill paper-lined or buttered muffin cups (1/3-cup capacity) about three-fourths full with batter (about 1/4 cup in each).
- Bake in a 325° oven until tops spring back when lightly touched in the center, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on racks 5 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely.
- Frost with your favorite frosting.
WONDERFUL!! Made for Valentine's Day weekend treats. Frosted with creamed cheese frosting and decorated with hot pink sugar!! YUMMO!!
Yummy cupcakes! I got 12 big cupcakes. This went together easily and the cakes were nice and light. I frosted with Rita's Creamy Chocolate Frosting. A hit with the whole family. Thanks!
Made these this morning. Didn't have cake flour, so subbed 1 1/4 C 1 Tbsp all purpose flour plus 3 Tbsp cornstarch. The flavor was delicious, although they did come out a bit dry (possibly my fault - may have left them in just a bit too long). Frosted with homemade Cherry Buttercream from another site. To die for!