Recipe by loriyeargan
Used to make these during the holiday season but had lost the recipe. Found it again in one of those recipe mini-magazines you find at the checkout line in grocery stores. These are very rich and very yummy! How many it makes depends on how big you cut the bars.
Top Review by Ducky
This is so tasty and rich that a little piece goes a long way. We are enjoying the chocolate and cherry combination! I put this in the refrigerator overnight and when I took it out I tried to get a piece immediately. My tip: wait for it to come to room temperature or be prepared to chisel out the bottom layer! LOL Once it is warms up it is very easy to get out. Thanks for the recipe.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup chopped almonds or 1⁄3 cup pecans
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped maraschino cherry, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Grease a 13x9 baking pan.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat; stir in cocoa until smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Add sugar, 3 eggs, 1-1/2 cups flour, and nuts; mix well.
- Pour into prepared pan, bake 20 minutes.
- Whisk together remaining egg, 1/3 cup flour, milk, and almond extract.
- Pour over baked layer; sprinkle chocolate chips and cherries over top.
- Return to oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until set and edges golden brown.
- Cool completely in pan.
- Refrigerate until cold, about 6 hours or overnight.
- Cut into bars.
- Refrigerate leftover bars (if there are any!).