Recipe by Babs in Toyland
Recipe posted in response to a request. This is a very rich cake that is sure to impress your guests. Prep time includes cooling time. A serving is really a very thin slice unless your guests are really hungry (and not worrying about their weight) Recipe given to me by Melissa, a very nice young lady who volunteers at the center where I work.
- 1 box your favorite brownie mix (no nuts)
- 2 (12 ounce) packagesreal chocolate chips
- 2⁄3 cup brewed coffee
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups heavy cream, for cake
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream, whipped for topping
- chocolate, for shaving to decorate cake further (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or use non-stick cookie sheet and make the brownie mix and bake in thin 1/2 inch layer at 350 degrees until done.
- Cool brownies.
- Spray a 9 inch springform pan with Pam.
- Cut brownies to fit bottom and 2 inch high sides (measure) of springform pan.
- Set aside.
- Melt chocolate in microwave or double boiler and stir.
- Remove from heat and add beaten egg yolks slowly, stirring constantly.
- Dissolve gelatin- sprinkle over cold coffee- let stand 5 minutes and stir into chocolate mixture.
- Cool 30 minutes.
- Beat egg whites to form stiff peaks and add sugar and continue to beat.
- Fold sugar mixture into chocolate mixture.
- Whip heavy cream to form stiff peaks and fold into chocolate mixture.
- Pour into brownie shell and cool for at least 24 hours.
- (Cake can be frozen).
- Unmold to serve and top with remaining whipped cream.
- You can put some whipped cream into a piping bag and make swirls around the bottom of the cake or whatever kind of design you fancy.
- Optional: shave some chocolate on top of whipped cream topping.