Recipe by Cookin'withGas
source unknown; recipe untried but looks yummy; placed here for safekeeping; database does not recognise Smart Balance products so the calorie count is lower than system has calculated.
- 1 3⁄4 cups quaker quick-cooking oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted (Smart Balance brand, preferred)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (or your choice)
- 6 ounces chocolate chips
- 12 1⁄2 ounces caramel ice cream topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°; grease 13X9 baking pan.
- Combine quick oats, the 1½ cups flour, brown sugar, melted butter, water and baking soda; mixing well; reserve 1 cup of this mixture.
- Press the remaining mixture into the greased baking pan and bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes; cool 10 minutes.
- Top with the walnuts and the chocolate chips; then combine the caramel ice cream topping and the ¼ cup of flour until smooth.
- Drizzle this over the contents of the baking pan, to within ¼ inch of the edge; then sprinkle with the reserved oats mixture.
- Return to preheated oven and bake for 18-22 minutes; then cool completely.
- Cut into 32 bars before serving.
- TIP: if you get unnerved at feeding your young children chopped nuts, then this recipe is NOT for you.