1 hr 25 mins
or 1 10inch tart
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Chocolate Dough
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
For the Caramel Filling
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche
For the Chocolate Glaze
- 1To prepare the tart dough, cream the butter and sugar in an electric mixer until light, about 2 minutes.
- 2Add the cocoa and beat until well combined.
- 3Add the egg yolk and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- 4Sift the flour into the cocoa mixture.
- 5Beat the mixture on low speed until combined.
- 6Scrape the dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap and form it into a disk.
- 7Wrap and chill until firm, about 1 hour or up to 3 days.
- 8Preheat oven to 325°.
- 9On a lightly floured surface, roll the tart dough 3/16" thick.
- 10Using a 2 1/2" round cutter, cut out 24 circles of dough and press them into two mini muffin tins or 2" tart pans, trimming away any excess dough; prick dough all over with a fork.
- 11Chill the tart shells for 20 minutes.
- 12Line the tart shells with foil and fill with dried beans, rice, or pie weights.
- 13Bake for 15 minutes.
- 14Remove foil and weights and bake for 5 to 10 minutes longer or until the pastry looks dry and is set.
- 15Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- 16To prepare the filling, in a large saucepan, bring the sugar and water to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- 17Add the corn syrup and let boil, swirling the pan occasionally, until you have a deep caramel, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- 18Carefully whisk in the butter, cream, and crème fraiche (the mixture will hiss and bubble so stand back), whisking until smooth.
- 19Divide the caramel among the tart shells while still warm (or reheat the caramel in the microwave or over low heat until it is pourable).
- 20To make the glaze, in a saucepan, bring the cream to a simmer.
- 21Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl.
- 22Pour the cream over the chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth.
- 23Pour glaze over each tart while still warm.
- 24Let the glaze set at room temperature for 2 hours before serving.
- 25Variation: For a large tart, line a 10" tart pan with the pastry, and prebake as previously instructed (add 5 to 10 extra minutes of baking time).
- 26When the shell is cool, spoon in the warm caramel filling.
- 27Allow caramel to set before pouring the warm ganache onto the tart.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Caramel Tarts
Serving Size: 1 (1457 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 219.3
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 44.3 mg
- Sodium 6.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 20.3 g
- Protein 1.2 g