Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 25 mins
or 1 10inch tart
Make and share this Chocolate Caramel Tarts recipe from Food.com.
For the Chocolate Dough
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
For the Caramel Filling
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche
For the Chocolate Glaze
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 3 1⁄2 ounces extra bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- To prepare the tart dough, cream the butter and sugar in an electric mixer until light, about 2 minutes.
- Add the cocoa and beat until well combined.
- Add the egg yolk and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Sift the flour into the cocoa mixture.
- Beat the mixture on low speed until combined.
- Scrape the dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap and form it into a disk.
- Wrap and chill until firm, about 1 hour or up to 3 days.
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the tart dough 3/16" thick.
- Using a 2 1/2" round cutter, cut out 24 circles of dough and press them into two mini muffin tins or 2" tart pans, trimming away any excess dough; prick dough all over with a fork.
- Chill the tart shells for 20 minutes.
- Line the tart shells with foil and fill with dried beans, rice, or pie weights.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and weights and bake for 5 to 10 minutes longer or until the pastry looks dry and is set.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To prepare the filling, in a large saucepan, bring the sugar and water to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the corn syrup and let boil, swirling the pan occasionally, until you have a deep caramel, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Carefully whisk in the butter, cream, and crème fraiche (the mixture will hiss and bubble so stand back), whisking until smooth.
- Divide the caramel among the tart shells while still warm (or reheat the caramel in the microwave or over low heat until it is pourable).
- To make the glaze, in a saucepan, bring the cream to a simmer.
- Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth.
- Pour glaze over each tart while still warm.
- Let the glaze set at room temperature for 2 hours before serving.
- Variation: For a large tart, line a 10" tart pan with the pastry, and prebake as previously instructed (add 5 to 10 extra minutes of baking time).
- When the shell is cool, spoon in the warm caramel filling.
- Allow caramel to set before pouring the warm ganache onto the tart.