Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Recipe from Rock Cottage Gardens in Eureka Springs, Arkansas.
- 50 vanilla wafers, crushed (2 cups)
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 (14 ounce) package vanilla caramels, about 48
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup semisweet chocolate piece, melted and slightly cooled
- whipped cream (optional)
- pecans, chopped (optional)
- semisweet chocolate piece, melted, optional for drizzling
- caramel ice cream topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For crust, combine vanilla wafers and melted butter.
- Press mixture onto bottom and about 2 inches up sides of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- Cook and stir caramels and evaporated milk over low heat until smooth.
- Pour over crust.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup pecans.
- Chill while preparing filling.
- For filling, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until combined.
- Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined (do not overbeat).
- Stir in melted chocolate.
- Pour over carmel-pecan layer.
- Bake in preheated oven 40 minutes or until center appears nearly set when shaken.
- Cool cheesecake in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Loosen crust from sides of pan; cool 30 minutes more.
- Remove sides of pan; cool cheesecake completely.
- Cover and chill for at least 4 hours before serving.
- Let cheesecake stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving.
- Cut into wedges to serve.
- If desired, garnish each serving with whipped cream, pecans, melted chocolate and caramel topping.