1/3 Photos of Chocolate Cake
This is a great cake to make for Valentine's Day in a heart shaped pan. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (June 1981)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- 2Spray 2 8-inch round (or heart shaped) pans with non-stick cooking spray (or use a bigger heart shaped pan, adjusting cooking time) and flour pans.
- 3In a bowl sift flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- 4In a large bowl beat butter using an electric mixer until soft (5 minutes). Add sugar gradulally while beaters are running and continue beating another 2 minutes or so.
- 5Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- 6Add vanilla and continue beating until blended.
- 7With mixer on low speed add flour alternatively with milk in three additions, stirring until mixed but stopping at least once to scrap down bowl.
- 8Divide batter into two pans (or use one larger pan).
- 9Bake for 25-30 minutes for 8-inch layer cakes or 40-45 minutes for a larger cake.
- 10Cool for 10 minutes in pans and then turn out onto a cake rack to finish cooling.
- 11While cake is cooling prepare glaze.
- 12To make glaze: combine chocolate and butter in top of a double boiler over simmering water. Cover and cook until mixture is melted and smooth.
- 13To assemble cakes: If using layer cakes, place one layer on serving plate (bottom up) and spread top with glaze, cover with top layer (top side up) and finish frosting with glaze.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (196 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 741.6
- Calories from Fat 355
- Total Fat 39.4 g
- Saturated Fat 24.2 g
- Cholesterol 161.1 mg
- Sodium 575.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 50.3 g
- Protein 9.3 g