Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I guess this is the dessert that says 'home' to me more than any other. It's the one my mom made for us regularly while we were growing up.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9 ½ inch oval baking dish (5 ½ to 6 cups).
- Cut crusts off bread.
- Cut bread into ½ to ¾ inch cubes to make 5 cups.
- In medium bowl, beat eggs, sugar, cocoa, cinnamon and ½ tsp vanilla extract until blended.
- Beat in butter and salt.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Add bread, stirring to break up the cubes.
- Allow bread to absorb custard for 5 minutes.
- Pour into a dish.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes, until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- In small bowl, beat heavy cream, icing sugar and remaining 1/2 t vanilla extract until stiff.
- Serve over bread pudding.